As the year passed I did research trying to find recipes or a blog about ideas on how to feed my husband but all I found were different ideas how to cure it. Anywhere from eating diatomaceous earth daily (which eating mud that my grandfather used to use to kill worms in his dogs didn't sound like a good idea) to eat what you want and just keep getting surgeries to remove more and more intestines.
So we were good for the first month or so and then we got a little lazy but still stayed mostly to the diet till the summer. Then we just quit trying because he was doing good. But October rolled around and he was in the hospital again with a little bigger hole though no leakage.
After five days in the hospital I said to myself and my husband this is not happening again. I have some knowledge and I started really working on making sure he didn't eat what he is not supposed to. I also came to the conclusion that there must be others out there who are also in my same predicament. It was suggested by my aunt that I start a blog of recipes and my findings on what you should and shouldn't eat when you have diverticulitis and as I don't like to cook two meals for me as the spouse and for him. I am on the same journey.
I also am trying to be healthy.
So here is what the doctor said are the do's and don'ts:
Do's
Eat 30 grams of fiber a day
Protein
Don'ts
No Berries with seeds
No Seeds
No Nuts (creamed nuts are okay but they have to be fully creamed no chunks)
No artificial Sugars (aspartame, sucralose etc.)
I have also found that Corn is a problem for him so at our house no corn.
So what does this equate to a lot of no no's in everyday food. So what do you eat my first problem was bread I like the grain filled bread with lots of Fiber and Proteins. This is an absolute do not have. I did want bread for my husband to have sandwiches and in my research I found out that sprouted bread is really good.
This is the brand I found worked really well. But I still felt I could do better so I know make two loaves of "Julia Child's White Sandwich bread" every Monday. My husband likes it and I like it because it is quick and easy. Below is the link to the bread I make.
http://www.dinnerwithjulie.com/2012/03/04/julia-childs-white-sandwich-bread/
When I finish my flour I currently have I am going to try it with wheat flour. It is really yummy with Skippy peanut butter. This is the smoothest peanut butter I have found.
Good luck to all those working with Diverticulitis.
1. Google image under granny's sprouted bread.
No comments:
Post a Comment